Burglar-Proof Your Home
1. Never leave keys in hiding places outside the house.
2. Always keep your garage door closed and locked.
3. Trim back all bushes under windows.
4. Plant prickly, thorny shrubs or bushes under windows to discourage prowlers.
5. Bright lights outside around all doors and window discourage break ins. Install motion triggered lights around corners of the home.
6. Install a solid core or metal-clad door fitted with both inside hinge pins and a minimum one-inch throw deadbolt lock.
7. Doors with windows require a double key deadbolt.
8. Secure garage doors with cane bolts and hasps.
9. Install a peep hole in the front door.
10. Secure crank Windows by drilling a hole through the latch frame and handle, then insert a metal pin or nail through the hole to lock the window in place.
11. Place Operation Identification stickers on doors and windows.
12. If you have a keypad garage door, reprogram the code.
13. Never leave your garage door opener visible in your car.
14. Never let strangers into your home. Never give out your address or phone number to strangers.